Box Mission Church was built in 1880 for use as an infant school. It was made of corrugated iron and was very hot during the summer and freezing cold in winter. From 1918 it was used by the Church for Sunday School and for weekly evensongs on Sunday evenings. There was no altar in the church and no celebration of Holy Communion. The music was played on an old harmonium. During the week it was used for social functions such as concerts, whist drives, parties, etc. At this time the church faced west.
In 1928, The Reverend Rex Hodson became Rector of Minchinhampton and took a great interest in the Church life at Box. He started Holy Communion celebrations using his own portable altar which he had used when in the Navy. This aroused great interest in the community and donations were given in the way of a small altar, embroidered altar hangings, cross and candle sticks and a piano to replace the harmonium.
Financial donations enabled a small sanctuary to be built on to the existing Church in 1931 and it was then that the Church was turned to face east. The Church flourished with a Sunday School of 40, a children’s choir and packed congregations.
In 1937, because of the deterioration of the roof, it was decided to save up funds for a permanent stone Church for Box. Fund raising events were started to raise the estimated £1000 – £2000 necessary. Then came the war and building plans were put to one side, but fund raising carried on and the Church life continued with many evacuees becoming involved.